Want a FREE foot rolling guide?
Click here to sign up for my email newsletter and get your FREE gift right away!
Here are just a few solid reasons...
1. They reduce stiffness and tension in your body from being “sedentary” i.e. not moving, or in one position for a period of time like sitting or standing at your desk, driving, even resting on your couch
2. It increases productivity! (not sure about this one? check out the Pomodoro technique, it’s real thing!)
3. Physical movement can get you out of the stress cycle, even if the actual stressor isn’t going away! (helloooo covid!) Here’s a great podcast on that topic. brenebrown.com/podcast/brene-with-emily-and-amelia-nagoski-on-burnout-and-how-to-complete-the-stress-cycle/
According to the Pomodoro method, it’s ideal to take a 5 minute break after every 25 minute block of work and then after about 4 of those cycles you take a full 15-20 minute break. There’s loads of free apps that you can set the timers on, I just use the timer in my phone.
I encourage you to play around with that timing to make it work for you! Depending on the day, the task, and my focus I might need to do longer or shorter work periods and/or breaks.
The important thing is to actually take the (relatively) frequent movement breaks!
5 easy & free ways to take a movement break
1. Make a list of small, short mindless tasks that take 5 minutes or less that require getting up, changing where your eyes are focusing, and moving around.
2. Try some HIIT style intervals using simple movements like Squats, Jumping Jacks, or Leg Kicks for 30 seconds then 10 seconds of walking or marching in place. In 5 minutes, you should be able to get through about 7 cycles with a short cool down. (don’t forget to hydrate!)
3. Do a standing version of the hundred series breaths. Pulse your arms with each breath as you inhale for 5 breaths and exhale for 5 breaths. Try lifting one foot off for the the first half, then the other for the second half.
4. Have a dance party! Play a song you love and get dancing…or at least away from your desk and moving your body.
5. Do my neck & shoulder video on you tube. If you’ve been sitting, try it standing. If you’ve been standing, try it seated!
or keep trying different ideas until you find your faves!
I promise you’ll feel better on so many levels and your body will love you for it.
I’d love to hear how it goes! (email me)
Let’s talk about the upcoming Community Roll Out!
We’re going to do some Saturday afternoon foam rolling together (via zoom) and then donate all the profits to St. Mary’s Food Bank here in Phoenix 💫
If you don’t know much about all the wonderful work they do, please check them out @stmarysfoodbank or https://www.firstfoodbank.org/give/
Can’t attend live? You’ll have access to the recording for a full week afterwards.
How many of these can raise the funds for? As you can see from the pic, every $100 we send in provides 700 meals this Thanksgiving.
Every person counts!
Please feel free to invite friends, family, workout buddies, or your social media community to join us.
Tip: the easiest way to do that is to save and share the graphic below with all the info on it.
'An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.'
[ Benjamin Franklin ]
Let's prevent those falls, rather than spend a lot of time fearing and recovering from them!
This month, in Pilates for Active Aging, we will be really focused on fall prevention.
It will still be the same challenging hour full of Pilates-based breathing, full body movement, and fun!
We will add in some extra attention to:
*how we feel and stand on our feet
*how we use our gaze or eye focus to help as well as challenge our balance
*vary the tempo and pace of our movements to improve our reaction time
This class is safe and challenging for all levels of fitness and skill, including those with osteoporosis. (senior discount available for those 60 or over, please contact Pippa for details)
Saturday October 24th has a lot to offer!
Foot Rolling 101 is from 1-2:30pm, then we have a Community Roll Out from 2:45-3:45pm.
(all via Zoom, links to recordings if you can't attend live)
Scroll down for more info and helpful links.
Hope to “see” you there!
Do your feet hurt? no matter what shoes you wear, or don’t wear?
Are your bunions looking worse?
Is your balance declining? Do you find yourself shuffling or tripping more often?
Does your Plantar Fasciitis keep flaring up?
Is your big toe really stiff?
Then this workshop is a perfect fit for you!
You will have access to a recording of the class for 1 week after it meets live so that you can focus on feeling and learning as we go, then review the information afterwards.
This workshop is open to all levels of fitness and all bodies!
You can do the foot rolling seated.
We are trying something new, I hope you can join us!
What: Community Roll Out!
When: October 24, 2020 2:45-3:45pm PST-AZ Time
How much: By donation, $12 suggested minimum
All proceeds go to St. Mary’s Food Bank
Let's take some time to connect, do some guided foam rolling, and seize an opportunity to give back to our community!
Everyone is welcome! (You don’t have to have taken my foam roller class in September.)
We will take some time for Q & A as well as requests. (what body part, what hurts, if there’s something you want to review etc etc) I’ll teach a class based around what comes up.
Interested, but have some concerns, questions, or need more info? Click here to contact me directly.
Happy Fall, y’all!
Here’s the current info for online Zoom group classes, workshops, and a new community event this month. I’d love to “see” you at all of them!
I’ll be doing some more detailed posts and share more info in the newsletter, but if you have any questions in the meantime please don’t hesitate to connect with me.
Here are the full class descriptions and suggested props for group classes via Zoom.
Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions! click here
Mondays 6-7pm Pilates & Stretch - on going
This is a mixed level contemporary Pilates class. We will be focusing on connecting to our breath, dynamically challenging our core, balancing out our bodies, and getting a satisfying full-body workout.
Props suggested (but not required, everything can be modified)
Wednesdays 9:30-10:30am Pilates for Active Aging- starting September 9th!
Join us for an hour full of Pilates-based breathing, full body movement, and fun! Active aging is all about keeping everything working optimally, while developing agility & proprioception for injury and fall prevention. We will focus on improving our balance, posture, and functional movement patterns while enhancing our overall strength and mobility. This class is safe and challenging for all levels of fitness and skill, including those with osteoporosis. (senior discount available for those 60 or over, please contact Pippa for details)
Props suggested (but not required, everything can be modified)
Zoom In, Bliss Out 6-7:00pm Friday 7/31/2020
Let’s coax our bodies and minds into relaxation mode! We will focus on connecting with our breath, calming our nervous system, and applying Fascial Stretch Therapy principles to get an awesome full body stretching experience. Breath work is especially important right now, COVID-19 affects the respiratory system.
Props suggested (but not required, everything can be modified
Set your vibe! Feel free to lean in to the woo. Here are a few things I suggest:
1. Play some binaural beats or music that you find soothing & relaxing in the background. Loudly enough so you can hear it, but quietly enough that you can still hear me.
2. Lighting- make it work for you. You want to be relaxed but not falling asleep.
3. Scent- I love having essential oils in the diffuser. Some people prefer candles. Try to figure out what might enhance your ability to relax & release tension. Click here for more info.
4. Wear layers and have socks nearby. Your body temperature might shift as we go, and we don’t want you to get cold.
5. Turn your phone off or put it on do not disturb.
Foam rolling can help restore balance to your whole body, and potentially become an essential aspect of your self-care.
1-2:30pm via Zoom
$25-35 sliding scale
(you must use this link and buy only this class to access the sliding scale option,
otherwise it will show up as the averaged price of $30)
In this master class, you will explore and learn how to use your foam roller as an effective self-myofascial release tool. When done mindfully and strategically, it can help relieve chronic muscle tightness or pain, increase circulation to reduce soreness, and improve your overall mobility.
Things we will cover:
- General strategies & tips on how to approach using the foam roller effectively
- How to avoid common mistakes and avoid injuries or preventable soreness
- Specific exercises with lots of options or modifications for a full body experience
- Question & answer time at the end of the class
*You will have access to a recording of the class for 1 week after it meets live so that you can focus on feeling and learning as we go, then review the information afterwards.*
What You’ll Need:
- Plenty of open floor space
- I suggest a thin yoga mat, especially if you’ll be on a hard floor.
- Some other padding or supportive surfaces around like a few towels, blankets, or blocks.
- 1 Moderate Foam Roller (definitely not firm, and soft may not give you enough resistance)
Here’s my favorite:
Optp Foam Roller- comes in blue or green
Here's a solid choice at a lower price point:
AXIS Standard Foam Roller- silver
Questions? click here to contact me
Want to Register Now? click here
All Absorbent Products Active Aging Addiction Aerobic And Strength Training Arthritis Balance Beach Body Biohacking Biomat Black Friday Bladder Symptoms Body Image Bone Density Boundaries Breathing BUILDING BETTER BONES Bulletproof Bulletproof Coffee Bulletproof Human Potential Coaching Bulletproof Vibration Plate Bunions By Donation Cardio Childbirth Chronic Pelvic Pain Community Consistency Continuing Education Contrology Core Strength Cryotherapy Current Pricing Cyber Monday Diaphragm Dynamic Aging Eating Disorders Emotional Agility Falling Arches Fall Prevention Fascia Fascial Research Fascial Stretch Therapy Feet Fitness Flexibility Foam Rolling Foot Health Foot Pain Foot Rolling Free Gift Frequent Urination Fst Fundraiser Gift Certificates Gratitude Group Classes Hamstrings Happy Feet Heart Attack & Stroke Prevention Heel Pain Hip Hinge Hit Play Not Pause Holiday Deals Human Potential Coaching Hundred Series Hydration Hyperbaric Oxygen Chamber Incontinence Inflammation Infra Red Sauna Infra-red Sauna Intermittent Fasting Interval Training Joe Pilates Journaling Joy Keto Kiwanis Recreation Center Knee Health Labor Leaking Life Coaching Life Hacks Lower Back Pain Mat Pilates Meal Planning Meditation Menopause Mental Health Mindfulness Mind Management Mobility Movement Breaks Muse Headband Name That Workshop Competition Neck And Shoulder Tension New Prices Newsletter Nourishing Movement October 2020 Osteoporosis Oura Ring Overactibe Bladder Paleo Parkinson's Pelvic Floor Pelvic Organ Prolapse Pelvic Stability Peri-Menopause Pfilates Pilates Pilates On Tour Pilates Principles Plantar Fasciitis Podcast Pomodoro Method Post Natal Posture Preganan Pregnancy Prenatal Pricing Information Productivity Props PWR! Exercise Group Red Light Therapy Reiki Resilience Resolutions Resources Retreat Scapular Glide Self Care Self-care Self Coaching Self-coaching Self Myofascial Release Self-myofascial Release Self Talk Self-talk Shoulder Mobility Sleep Sleep Hygiene Spirit Of Yoga Sprints St. Mary's Food Bank Stress Cycle Stress Management Stress Urinary Incontinence Stretch Stretching Subscription Sunscreen Susan Treadway Swan Rehab Thought Patterns Travel Urinary Urgency Videos Virtual Sessions Vulnerability Weight Loss Wellness Workshop Zoom Zoom Classes